Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Here's an email I sent out...

I wanted to share some really exciting news with you! (NO, I’m not getting married. We have enough of those and baby announcements to last a lifetime!) As most of you know I started with the Office of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (ODHH) with Washington State, DSHS, in January 2004. Up till now I’ve done clerical jobs that required very little challenge for me. I did my job and did it well, but rarely did I receive a project that challenged my skills, education/training, knowledge… I have 2 college degrees and have been doing a job that requires a high school diploma.

Well…

All that has changed! This morning I was offered the position of Sign Language Interpreter Management (SLIM) Program Manager! This came after a written interview, face-to-face interview and an ADA “pop quiz.” I’ve already been doing a lot of the SLIM responsibilities, but this gets me further into the job. Basically, July 1 of this year, ODHH took over the current state contract for sign language interpreters. We now manage the contract, contract compliance, educating consumers about the contract and how to use a sign language interpreter, etc. It’s pretty intense. I’ve enjoyed what I’ve done so far, and have been able to begin building rapport with the interpreting agencies and freelance interpreters throughout the state. Though the position does not REQUIRE it, it’s highly recommended for this Program Manager to be certified. Therefore… I’ll be pursuing my certification through the new NIC testing system. Scary! I won’t be taking this coming round of written examinations, but I’ll catch it next time it’s offered.

So – that’s my news! This means a huge pay increase, a TON more responsibility, and daily challenges. When he offered me the job this morning, our director said, “You up for the challenge?” My reply? “Bring it on!”

I’m excited. I’m terrified. I keep thinking, “What if I screw up?!?!” But God is faithful, He is the one providing this opportunity and He will see me through it. I’m excited to learn—I’ll be learning everything from interpreting “stuff” (workshops, etc.) to contracting. Definitely a plus. So… here I go! I’m a Program Manager! Yikes! :)

Please keep me in prayers as I begin the transition. I really appreciate it!!
God Bless!

1 comment:

Jenni said...

SO cool. When I grow up I want to be like Emily Hill.