Friday, October 21, 2005

Hi all... I'm at work right now, totally not supposed to be posting I'm sure, but... decided to anyway.  I haven't posted in forever, so it's time for an update, albeit brief.

I've been in my new position for about a week and a half now.  It's still a combination of my old job and my new, though I'm completing job after job for my Program Support position.  THAT feels good.  I've pretty much only got tagging some equipment left I think, then it's on to interpreter things. 

Barbara, I have to laugh... I remember all of our conversations about whether I should take interpreting 2 or not while I was at NCU.  I probably should have, but I don't really regret not taking it.  I KNOW you don't regret having me in that class - I had senioritis and "get me out of school NOW" big time.  Hehe  BUT... I will say that I never figured I'd have a job in the interpreting field.  I thank God that I'm not an interpreter (as a primary profession), but I think this is a really interesting niche to have carved myself into.  I'm now looking at pursuing certification (who knew?!) but that's mainly going to be related to this position.  Robin reminded me of "Columbus" the other day and I had to groan and giggle at the same time.  We hated that story by the end of the semester, but we improved!  (At least I HOPE we did!)  Thanks for persevering and supporting us.

I'm being immersed in a side of the culture that at one time I thought I would barely know.  It's really interesting, actually.  The position I'm transitioning out of has allowed me SO MUCH insight into different aspects... telecommunication issues (from TTY's, VCO's and Amplified Phones to Video Relay Service), client advocacy, information referral, outreach, relay issues, interpreting, etc.  it's been good and I've learned a lot.  I'm excited to focus now, though, and become more of an expert in one area with a broad general background.

OK, I'm getting back to work.  This actually was written in snippets, don't worry, I've been working while writing. ;)  Tee hee!

Take care all!

No comments: