Friday, September 10, 2010

That's Just the Way I Am!!!

Today is the second Friday of the month. That probably doesn't mean anything to YOU, but I've just joined a group that's made a commitment to write to our sponsored children (through Compassion) on the second Friday of every month. This is big for me because I'm so bad at writing to my child. I always have the best of intentions, but I don't tend to go through with them. I'm hoping that this will help incite change in my life - not just in writing to Ezra, but also in praying for her. See, that's another area where I'm really feeling the weakness right now--Intercession.

One of my family members likes to say, "That's just the way I am" when an issue is raised in his life. Have no grace or compassion for others, "Well, that's just the way I am!" Unwilling to help? Callous? "That's who I am - you can't change me!" Unforgiving? Stubborn? Hurtful? Arrogant? "That's the way I was made!"

Bull.

Tonight I'm here to call ME on my crap, and possibly to call you on yours. (I'm in the same boat, though, so don't take it too personally.)

Why don't I intercede as I should for Ezra? I could say that I'm just not a pray-er, at least not like people who's GIFTING is prayer. I'll admit, there are some people who are just darn GOOD at prayer. They love to intercede---in case you don't know, intercession is where I am praying for someone else... on their behalf. So if I am praying for Ezra and her family's health, I'm interceding for her. Just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page. ANYWAY... some people LOVE to intercede and can spend hours and hours and hours praying for other people. If you aren't one of these people, FIND SOME WHO ARE. I'm looking at my life right now and I can think of 2 people for sure who are big time prayer warriors. I definitely need to follow my advice and develop closer relationships with these people or people like them.

See... as Christians, we are not called to stay as we are. Before I was even born, God called me a sinner. He also had already determined that He didn't want me to stay that way. It's pretty clear when you read Scripture that staying as we are isn't much of an option. Therefore, for me... not being much of an interceder isn't really an option. No, I'm probably not going to ever be like one of those prayer warriors I mentioned before. I'm gifted in ways that they aren't - that's part of being in the human race. BUT... I DO need to grow.

That's why I'm going to try to start learning more about intercession... looking at biblical and real-life examples, practicing it more in my every day life, etc. I might add it to a journal. I might create a checklist. I don't know yet. I just know that God wants me growing, so grow I will.

Are YOU growing?

No comments: