Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Chronicling The Chronicles

Another post about 1 Chronicles... I was reading tonight and three things really struck me. Check them out.


Chapter 15. David's about to bring the ark into Jerusalem (after he screwed it up last time and someone ended up dead). He's appointed Levites (all of the priests) to carry it in properly, leading with a choir and this and that. Here's verse 22: "Kenaniah the head Levite was in charge of the singing; that was his responsibility because he was skillful at it."

He was given this responsibility because that was where his skill was. I don't know why, but this verse really made me think tonight. Square peg, round hole - NOT. Kenaniah had skill, and it was put to use to honor the Lord. I like that - a LOT.

-----

There's a verse in chapter 16 (verse 25) that starts out, "For great is the Lord and most worthy of praise..." Do any of you SALT kids remember singing that song? It wasn't based on this verse (I can't remember where it was, but it's directly out of scripture), this just reminded me of it. I LOVED that song. Do I still remember it?

Great is the Lord and most worthy of praise
In the city of our God, the holy place
The joy of the whole earth.

And great is the Lord in whom we have the victory
He aids us against the enemy
We bow down on our knees.

And Lord we want to lift your Name on high
And Lord we want to thank you
for the works you done in our lives.
And Lord we trust in Your unfailing love
For You alone are God eternal
Throughout earth and heaven above.

I cheated - I got partway through the song and had to look it up. I loved that one. That and the one about... Your voice... something. I'll remember and remind you all later. :)

-----


Nathan. Holy cow. Nathan was amazing. Nathan was a prophet, and truly a friend to David. If you remember the Bathsheba incident, Nathan was the one who called David on his sin. Well, in chapter 17, Nathan listens to God on David's behalf. Yes, David hears directly from God... but he's surrounded himself with others who hear from God, too. Nathan shares that God is satisfied with the ark being kept in a tent for now, and that one of David's children will build Him a temple.

As I was reading about how God talked to Nathan, and how David responded so honestly to his words, God really emphasized the importance of both parts of that relationship. I want to be 1) the kind of person who listens to God on behalf of the people around me. I want to seek Him out, to intercede enough to hear what He has to say for them. 2) I want to surround myself with people who will do the same for me. Wouldn't church be AMAZING if we would all start listening to God for other people--truly building each other up.... encouraging, loving, even calling out sin... and continually drawing closer to God? I would LOVE it.

No comments: