Sunday, February 19, 2012

The Moments

Now this is a story all about how my life got flipped turned upside down, and I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there, I'll tell you how I became the princess of the life God gave....

OK, so that's not exactly how it goes. ;)

Have you ever had that moment?  You know the one.  Where you're going along in your life, everything is the same as yesterday, except that you're 24 hours older, and hopefully 24 hours wiser, when all of a sudden... there's a moment where life completely changes.  Where life completely changes YOU?

I've had TWO of those moments in the last few months.  TWO.

In November, I was walking along, minding my own, when KABLAM!  God throws down the blueprint for the rest of my life.  OK, so it's not really a blueprint.  It's more of a "this is where you're headed, kid.  Hang on for the ride!"  All of my secret dreams were suddenly blended together in this exquisite patchwork that only God could design.  I'm not there yet, I'm oh, so far from there, but... it was that MOMENT!  At that moment, everything changed.  Everything.

What's really crazy is that nothing REALLY changed. :)  I mean, it was all internal.  It was purposeful, and hopeful, and totally insane.  But I was still (heck, AM still) in the same situation.  But the gears, those nutty God-gears, began to creak their way into movement.

And then the moment happened... again.  Our youth pastor said, "Hey, wanna join the teenagers and I in Haiti?"  I said, "Hm, thanks, I'll pray about it, but NO."  Too late.  The bug was planted.  The infection begun.  The rest of my life began playing out in that one, simple question.  "Wanna go to Haiti?"

I almost cry when I think about what happened that week.  He asked me on a Sunday.  I had a MILLION reasons not to go.  It's stinking HOT in Haiti.  Teenagers?  I work with adults.  Work.  Money.  Health.  One by one, God addressed the issues.  My boss COMMANDED me to go.  Coworkers stepped up and said, "I can't go, but because you're following God, I'll help YOU go."  God told me that it was time to start living the way the rest of my life is going to be.  So I'm going.  That Thursday night, after receiving massive confirmation, I emailed the youth pastor and said, "I'm in."  That moment.  That one, crazy moment.

You know what's happened?  I've had MULTIPLE people tell me they've never seen me this happy.  I've never been so sure of a direction in my life.  I feel... buoyant.  Something is pushing me higher and higher.  In those moments, as I was receptive, the Holy Spirit began working, changing, molding.  He's beginning something that I have no control over.  He's completely revolutionizing how I speak, act, behave.  Truths that He has planted in my heart are bubbling forth, with a passion and a zeal that I've only ever prayed for.

That moment?  Those moments?  They're called obedience.

God called and I said, "Yes."  
That's all.

Listen for those moments, friends.  Pay attention!  When they come, have your answer ready: "Yes, Lord!  YES!"

4 comments:

HRH Princess KT said...

Good stuff, Emily. Glad to hear how God is working in your life! :)

Can't wait to hear all about your trip. I'm praying for you.

Emily said...

THANK YOU!!! :)

Hez said...

i love reading about how God is working and making His plans known in your life! So excited to hear even more about your trip!

asl4god said...

I love reading your openness and honesty, Emily. I'm excited to see how God works in you during your life journey!!!