Thursday, September 12, 2013

Freefalling

Sometimes I think I live a very boring life.
A life of predictability.  Of normalcy.  Of average-ness.

And then God says, that He will direct His angels to guard me wherever I go (Psalm 91:11).  I still wonder...  He's guarding me, but... I'm so average.

And then something crazy happens.

God says, "Take a leap of faith!"

And I jump off the hugest building I've ever jumped off before and find that I somehow landed higher than I started.  But my life is pretty boring.  Still.  It's normal.  At least, that's how it feels.

But in between the excitement and the normalcy, He reminds me that no matter the season, no matter the time, no matter the anything, He remains the same.  A constant.  And that is certainly not boring.  (Hebrews 13:8)

And all the while, I get to climb up the stairs because the elevator is too full.  I think my life is average.  But truly... it cannot be average because it is the Lord who is leading.  Step after step I climb.

Finally, I come to a rooftop.  A building much higher than before.  It's much more frightening to look over the edge, but I know the only way up is to jump down.

And so...
              I leap.

I'm freefalling right now.
My heart is in my chest.  I can't breathe.  Everything is a whir around me and inside me.

And I know that no matter what happens... I will land higher than I started.  And I will look around and see all the buildings that are taller than I am...

And start climbing again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes! You are leaping UP! What a beautiful post my dear Emily. I will miss you so much and I want to hear about every great adventure you encounter. Keeping posting!
Much love to you,
Patti

Unknown said...

Yes! You are leaping UP! What a beautiful post my dear Emily. I will miss you so much and I want to hear about every great adventure you encounter. Keeping posting!
Much love to you,
Patti