Thursday, November 21, 2013

Welcome Home

I flew in to Las Vegas on Tuesday night for a whirlwhind trip to find somewhere to live when I move down next month.

I was skeptical.
I was concerned.
I was afraid that I was going to get here and suddenly have this "I've made a TERRIBLE MISTAKE" feeling in the pit of my stomach.

You can see why I was a little nervous. 

My flight in landed around 6 pm, so it was fully dark by the time I was over Southern Nevada.  I was reading on the plane, wondering what would happen over the next two days, and generally succeeding at distracting myself.

But then I got this gut feeling that it was time to put the Nook away.  I closed it up.  Turned off the light.  And stared out into the black nothingness that is the desert at night.

There was a sound elsewhere on the plane and I glanced back.  As I turned my face back to the window, the edge of the lights in the North Las Vegas area began to creep into view.
My breath caught.
I strained to see more--specifically the Downtown area.
And I thought... "Home."

I don't know HOW this crazy neon town is becoming my home while I don't even live here, but it is.  I guess it has something to do with Jesus.


No comments: