Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Little Bits of Life...

Pray for Haiti. It is heartbreaking to see their loss. God MUST shine a light over there.

-----

Last night Pastor Peter interrupted our small group. We are finishing up Ephesians and were in chapter 5. He quoted Ephesians 5:10... "...and find out what pleases the Lord." That was my journaled verse last night. What DOES please our Lord? What, in YOUR life, pleases Him? I think that it's all similar, but we all get different variations of pleasing Him. For example, when I'm at work and a certain individual is ranting on about an issue and I've already explained it sufficiently (in my opinion), it pleases Him when I think of HIM instead of myself... and respond appropriately instead of reacting like a child. :)

-----

Haggai 2:11-13
This is what the LORD Almighty says: 'Ask the priests what the law says: If a person carries consecrated meat in the fold of his garment, and that fold touches some bread or stew, some wine, oil or other food, does it become consecrated?'
The priests answered, "No."
Then Haggai said, "If a person defiled by contact with a dead body touches one of these things, does it become defiled?"
"Yes," the priests replied, "it becomes defiled."

This struck me last week. It makes complete sense, but it's not really something I've thought of before. When I put my clean hand in mud, the mud is not made clean--my hand is made dirty. If I put smelly socks on my clean feet, my feet do not make the socks clean--the socks make my feet smelly. If I am forgiven by God and washed clean, and then do some action that is sinful, my "holiness" does not purify the action--I am made sinful again.